A perspective for today.

Moderators: Borch, Executive Admin - !OHMY!, 4-Star Admin - |OHMY|

Homestar
[OHMY] Member
[OHMY] Member

A perspective for today.

Post by Homestar »

With the attitudes of so many kids today and this pandemic In our life, I thought this story is fitting for the moment.
My grandparents were born in 1890 and 1899.
They came to America ages 17 and 22 speaking little English, marrying and raising 9 children, one is my father whom I live with and take care of aged 87.
They worked very hard, didn’t argue and filled the roles of great parents.
All their children grew up with good morals and good character. Working hard like their parents.
Anyway, This story hits home for me.

A high schooler in 1985 didn’t think his 85 year old grandparents ( born 1900) understood just how hard school was.
For a small amount of perspective lets imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14,World War 1 starts and ends on your 18th Birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million ! When you are 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War 2 starts. You aren't even "over the hill" yet. When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into World war 2. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills 6 million people. At 52, the Korean War starts and 5 million people perish. In 1955 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn't end for several years. Four million people die in the conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of this ? A kid in 1985 didn't think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was ! Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through EVERYTHING listed above !
Today is a good day to reflect,.. and be thankful.
Stay safe,
HS
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Re: A perspective for today.

Post by Borch »

Life has no guarantees.

I've never heard a kid complain about how hard school is.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.
flankensnipe
Registered Player
Registered Player

Re: A perspective for today.

Post by flankensnipe »

Well said, Homestar. I think I'll share with my children.