SERVER CHANGES

[OHMY] CTF Server & TeamSpeak addresses

Moderators: Borch, Executive Admin - !OHMY!, 4-Star Admin - |OHMY|

Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Re: SERVER CHANGES

Post by Borch »

Took out all the noise/rain/other weird stuff on the map mp_bits.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Changes:
Decreased weapon damage to 70% when jumping or proning is detected.
Increased chance of jumping or proning being detected.
Removed limitation on close-up shooting. Didn't know this was in place, but seems inappropriate.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Was looking through the logs and I saw this (this is a list of the iwd files that are used in our server and in the order they are loaded, last to first, the first being on the bottom).
If you notice, there are three files,
^.iwd
].iwd
[.iwd

that are loaded after all our map files (the files that have G4.iwd, tfc.iwd, 4.iwd, etc).

During the initialization of a game, any files that have the same name and location in the file structure are used instead of the earlier versions.
So the files at the top, starting with "z" are intentionally named that way so that they will overwrite the files in the stock server, such as weapons, etc., so that we can change those without having to modify the stock files.

This might not seem important, but what this does is to prevent custom maps from overwriting any files in those three iwd files. I haven't looked in those iwd files to see what they contain, but I wanted to have them loaded in the batch with the other stock iwds.

So I renamed those three above with names that move them into that batch (they are sorted by ascii value, it appears):
:.iwd
=.iwd
?.iwd

You might wonder why we have filenames with symbols. Someone figured out long ago that there is only 1024 bytes of data able to be sent to your client's computers when the game starts, so originally those files had a name of iw_01.iwd, which uses four more characters than something like ^.iwd. So with 13 iwd files (there are 15 iwd files in the game, but two of those are for single player only), you can save 48 characters in the initiation string.

You have all seen what happens if the string is too long—you get the dread "IWD mismatch' error.

------ Server Initialization ------
Server: mp_toujane
Current language: english
Current search path:
/home/cod2/.callofduty2/o3a
/ssd/v3/o3a/zz1.iwd (687 files)
/ssd/v3/o3a/zt1.iwd (8 files)
/ssd/v3/o3a/z16.iwd (2710 files)
/ssd/v3/o3a
/home/cod2/.callofduty2/main
/ssd/v3/main/^.iwd (85 files)
/ssd/v3/main/].iwd (4038 files)
/ssd/v3/main/[.iwd (22624 files)

/ssd/v3/main/tfc.iwd (343 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G4.iwd (34 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G32.iwd (23 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G30.iwd (70 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G29.iwd (128 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G28.iwd (124 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G22.iwd (991 files)
/ssd/v3/main/G18.iwd (118 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F95.iwd (160 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F88.iwd (231 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F7.iwd (301 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F4.iwd (215 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F3.iwd (187 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F23.iwd (159 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F2.iwd (84 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F14.iwd (533 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F11.iwd (120 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F10.iwd (212 files)
/ssd/v3/main/F0.iwd (200 files)
/ssd/v3/main/@.iwd (1016 files)
/ssd/v3/main/4.iwd (420 files)
/ssd/v3/main/-.iwd (1462 files)
/ssd/v3/main/,.iwd (2142 files)
/ssd/v3/main/).iwd (2723 files)
/ssd/v3/main/(.iwd (3384 files)
/ssd/v3/main/'.iwd (1936 files)
/ssd/v3/main/&.iwd (990 files)
/ssd/v3/main/%.iwd (928 files)
/ssd/v3/main/$.iwd (698 files)
/ssd/v3/main/#.iwd (26 files)
/ssd/v3/main/!.iwd (102 files)
Jerms
(OHMY) Senior Admin
(OHMY) Senior Admin

Post by Jerms »

Borch wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:35 am Changes:
Decreased weapon damage to 70% when jumping or proning is detected.
Increased chance of jumping or proning being detected.
Removed limitation on close-up shooting. Didn't know this was in place, but seems inappropriate.
I wasn't able to attend the last admin meeting, so I assume this was discussed prior to implementation. Surely it wasn't done on a whim for the 10th time.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Not really a whim this time. But I made the decision, yes, though I was prodded to by a bunch of folks.
Jerms
(OHMY) Senior Admin
(OHMY) Senior Admin

Post by Jerms »

Is there a point to the admin meeting then if they are not the place to discuss and vote on changes?
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Oh there's a point to it, but there are some things I suppose I am not willing to budge on. This has become one of them. NOTE: I changed the settings BACK to how they were before I single-handedly decided to change it to the settings with which we have been suffering.

Just a few links for you to peruse.

Turned jump shooting to 70%, had been 50%: (2019)
https://forums.ohmyctf.com/viewtopic.php?p=2459#p2459

Turned jump shooting to 100%: (2021)
https://forums.ohmyctf.com/viewtopic.ph ... +100#p2882

If you have more interest in the history of this you can search for "jump" by author "Borch".
TheBigBobert
[OHMY] Member
[OHMY] Member

Post by TheBigBobert »

Spent about an hour this morning killing jock with a shotgun; wasn't too warmed up yet but here are my results after the changes:

- Could still kill people while jumping and prone most of the time at close range
- Instances of close-mid range tanking using a shottie while jumping or prone is now probably around 1/3-1/2 instead of 1/4-1/3 of the time (the 1/4-1/3 applies to on-the-ground shooting in the past as well, assume that is the same post-changes)
- Definitely more tanking or no effect the further away you get, most likely eliminates the ability for a long distance shottie blast to kill you (though a compact spread pattern could probably still do it. Estimate this was 20% of the time, likely less than 10% now).
- Had a few instances of ankle bashing people while prone that should have killed them but didn't do anything. Should probably verify that only the shooting, not bashing, was affected

End result: still killing jock :ugeek:
|OHMY| Head Admin
|OHMY| Head Admin

Post by 10001110101 »

So we took the only cod2 server in the history of cod2 where rifles routinely fail to kill someone and somehow made them worse. You can't make this shit up. And Jerms is right. This is about the 10th time.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Well.
In the month of January, using a mosin-nagant, you killed 1288 and damaged 204.

That is a kill rate of 84.2%. About one in every 7 shots you only damaged someone.

Tell me how you cannot kill anyone again?

Jerms: (quick and dirty with a mosin-nagant) (note he has multiple guids, just took the one with the most activity)
88.0% kills, 12.0% damage rate. Again, about one in every 7 shots, only damaged someone.