Borch suggested config_mp.cfg file settings

[OHMY] CTF Server & TeamSpeak addresses

Moderators: Borch, Executive Admin - !OHMY!, 4-Star Admin - |OHMY|

Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Borch suggested config_mp.cfg file settings

Post by Borch »

These are the config file settings I have in my game, which you might want to add to yours. Some are quite helpful.

Your config file name is usually
config_mp.cfg
which is in a folder with your profile name in the game—not the name in the server, but the profile you can select in the game BEFORE you go into a server.

THESE ARE ESSENTIAL:
seta cl_maxpackets "100"
-sets the number of packets of data from the server to your computer, higher is better, this is as high as it gets.

seta com_hunkMegs "512"
-set the amount of memory the game can use, it defaults to 160, but that is inadequate for our (and most) servers

seta rate "25000"
-sets the rate at which the server will communicate with you, this is the highest value, there are slower values (this is set by the lan, modem, etc. settings in game).

seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
-prevents the mouse from moving more than you intend when you move your mouse quickly. Made a huge difference for me.

Change the size of the compass, maximum size is 1.8 (helps me to see it):
seta cg_hudCompassSize "1.8"

Binds that change game brightness by using F1 through F5. Each time you hit one of these keys, it gets brighter, moving through five brightnesses on that key, then goes back to the lowest setting, looping through all the values. It gets brighter as you move from F1 to F5:

F1=Five darkest (first time you hit it, it will be the darkest of the five, then each time after you hit it, it will get brighter)
F2=Next five brighter (same as above, only one step brighter than the F1 key)
F3=Next five brighter (same as above, only one step brighter than the F2 key)
F4=Next five brighter (same as above, only one step brighter than the F3 key)
F5=Five brightest (same as above, only one step brighter than the F4 key)

bind F1 "toggle r_gamma 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9"
bind F2 "toggle r_gamma 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5"
bind F3 "toggle r_gamma 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 2.0"
bind F4 "toggle r_gamma 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5"
bind F5 "toggle r_gamma 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3.0"

Move chat to the bottom of the screen, next to the compass, enlarged or not (so it does not get in the way of aiming, etc.):
seta cg_hudChatPosition "180 400""

Graphics improvements, perhaps, depending on how your video card is, you can adjust these:

seta r_aaAlpha "supersample (nice)"
seta r_aaSamples "4"
seta r_anisotropy "8"

-these are better the bigger they get (multiples of 2), there are limits though (maybe 16?), takes advantage of better graphics cards.

seta r_rendererPreference "dx7"
-Essential if you have a crappy video card, otherwise use "auto" or "dx9"
[/color]

I have a display and graphics card interface that will do 144 Hz updates, which is a real improvement to the game, especially when you are looking around in different directions, it makes it less choppy. If you have monitor and graphics card that will do that, enable it!
seta r_displayRefresh "144 Hz"

FPS improvements by turning off shell casings, blood, and bullet marks on walls/ground (for people with crappy graphics cards like me):
seta cg_brass "0"
seta cg_blood "0"
seta cg_marks "0"

Start and stop record using the P key to start a recording, an O key to stop recording:

bind O "stoprecord"
bind P "record"

(This records gameplay, first recording named Demo0001 in the folder "o3a/demos." Playback requires typing, in console, outside of the server:
"play demo_name"
In order for the playback to occur properly, you have to join a server, then select the mods at the bottom of the menu, or else you not see anything in the game recording that is specific to the mod. I usually have to throw away a file because it claims it is corrupt. YMMV.

Use F10 to toggle display of cg_drawlagometer (shows connection quality info) and cg_drawfps:

bind F10 "toggle cg_drawlagometer;toggle cg_drawfps"
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.