Re: Black Screen at Map Launch

Post by Braddock »

now I have this problem that you talk about..i dont know why
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

This is usually because you have a map conflict. Look at the console output it should tell you the conflicting file.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.
|OHMY| Head Admin
|OHMY| Head Admin

Post by 10001110101 »

Braddock wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:01 pm now I have this problem that you talk about..i dont know why
I was wondering if you were having issues. If you don't know how to find the info borch is talking about you can remove the map packs from your main folder and let the server redownload them for you when you join.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

I have modified our server to try to reduce this problem, which is because of incompatible files. I have eliminated exploding barrels (almost all of them) where they use the same file name, though the file might be different. When a map tries to access a file and the data is not proper, things hang up. So there were 54 maps that made use of the maps/mp/barrels.gsc file, so I altered the gsc file, associated with the map, to prevent it from accessing the exploding barrel functions.

Hopefully this will reduce some of these black screens. There are some other files that can have similar issues, but will try to deal with those as we go along.

Note that if you have the black screen, you should be able to disconnect using the escape key, then you access your console (with historical text also) by hitting shift-tilde (~).
It will tell you which files are a problem there, remove those from your main folder. It might be helpful if you identified which files you had to remove and the map you were trying to join on the server.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Braddock
[OHMY] Member
[OHMY] Member

Post by Braddock »

hello..it is today the same problem as before.cant disconnect with the escape key..have to stop the game and start it again..i am afraid to remove something from the main folder.last time i did i could throw away my game.i could not play for mounth till i find out that i can download the game on steam in 1.3 version.my pc knowledge is not very good.maybe someone can help me soon by the next visit to me.
|OHMY| Head Admin
|OHMY| Head Admin

Post by 10001110101 »

Let me know when you have time and I'll try to help you if you can get on Team Speak. I'm sure others could help as well if you just want to hop on and ask someone. I'll try to catch you on IAF one night this week if I don't see a reply here.
|OHMY| Head Admin
|OHMY| Head Admin

Post by 10001110101 »

I had this happen to me yesterday. Map pack F50 was the conflict. Or my game worked once it was gone.
Homestar
[OHMY] Member
[OHMY] Member

Post by Homestar »

That unfortunately didn’t work for me, still a black screen.
I miss having the PC version where I had an extra install on another drive.
I had the game installed twice back in those days.
One version I played, the other a fresh install I kept with simply just the iwd’s needed to play.
I enjoyed starting my own server but was unable to with the mods messing it up too much to start the server.
I tried yesterday to delete my Steam version and reinstall but I am finding that impossible too.
If anyone has a picture of the bare minimum IWD’ needed in the main folder please post it.
If not, No worries. I still play but only on other servers.
But
When it comes to playing on OHMY I’m toast. ( one less newb 😬) hehe
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Keep thd stuff in the o3a folder
In the main folder, the files we have are 4.isd, F…iwd, G…isd
Gamd files are iw_01.iwd thru iw_15.iwd
Bunch of Localized*iwd files