Punkbuster

Post your bugs, server change requests here. Will be discussed at the admin meeting the first Sunday of every month.

Moderators: Borch, Executive Admin - !OHMY!, 4-Star Admin - |OHMY|

Pengy
$OHMY$ Admin

Punkbuster

Post by Pengy »

Has this ever been tried on this server? if not can we not try it? Seems to me a lot of strange things happening, like getting shot when your sure your round the corner of buildings, being shot through a tank/wall/box etc etc. This may be due to other things lag etc but I would sure like to know for sure?
This game is fun until the IMMORTALS get on and start dominating the play. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Shartnado
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Re: Punkbuster

Post by Shartnado »

I have been told that PB is old, ineffective, and cumbersome. However, Binary or Borch probably know better than I.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Punkbuster has some good aspects of it, but it is woefully out of date, but then how many folks are making new hacks for it?
People used to have trouble with installing it, and it would probably reduce the newbies that come in.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.
GamerWV
Registered Player
Registered Player

Post by GamerWV »

I have a copy of the latest PB update which was the last one if anybody would need it. Just let me know and I can get a download link for it.
Borch
!OHMY! Executive Admin
!OHMY! Executive Admin

Post by Borch »

Good to know, should be the same as those we have available for download on our Downloads section:
viewforum.php?f=7
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Is life worth living? That depends on the liver.
|OHMY| Head Admin
|OHMY| Head Admin

Post by 10001110101 »

It hasn't been supported in roughly a decade. At this point it's only real function is to reduce your server population because PB won't like some random setting. So it will kick every third person at random but most likely won't stop the 1-2 people on average we have to ban for cheating on the server each year. If there's something you find strange several of us should spectate that person. It might not be a bad idea to put together a few admins (or even regulars) to help when this comes up. There's two criteria I'd suggest in choosing those people 1) level headed 2) The more skill they have in the game the better. Jerms and Knight come to mind but others might have suggestions as well. If there is something you see and have demo of it I'm happy to get on TS and us talk through what you see and what if anything I think is going on. I want everyone to be comfortable the server is as fair as it can be so I'm willing to help however I can but if we feel this really is an issue that needs addressing let's please find some answer that isn't PB.

There are various places of cover on a variety of maps that can be shot through. We might want to discuss trying to make this kind of stuff more common knowledge? There might be +/- to that though. As to being immortal I'm not sure who specifically he's talking about but the highest K:D ratios on the server that I'm aware of are less than 2.5:1. So nothing that's out of a normal range IMO.

There has also been discussion about Kill Cam of late..... I feel like the bearer of bad news on most of this stuff but it is what it is.... Kill Cam causes issues in game with smoke. I detailed it on the extreme forums a million years ago and don't remember specifics but I think what happens is a smoke canister is thrown, players die, those players respawn and then no longer see the smoke that was thrown. Everyone who stayed alive deals with smoke but those who died and respawn do not. This only happens when Kill Cam is on for some reason. So leaving Kill Cam on all the time has issues as well. Likely causing more issues of "cheating" due to players legit not seeing smoke than you'd stop by having it on and catching something.